For a first time visitor, the town of Deptford NJ in Gloucester County, New Jersey would appear as a small town – their assumption isn’t totally incorrect given the fact that the 2010 census gave the town’s population to be somewhere near the thirty-one thousand inhabitants mark.
If you’ve ever spent some time at the Outback Steakhouse or the Villa Nuova Ristorante & Pizza, then you’d definitely love the town.
Enough said… here are 7 fun facts you’ve probably never heard about Deptford New Jersey.
1. The original name of the town was called Bethlehem as at June 1695 when it was first formed. However, it is important to note that the town wasn’t the place where Jesus Christ was born. It was later renamed to Deptford after the English port.
2. This might be unbelievable, but the truth is that the first air mail to ever be delivered in the United States took place in 1793 when Jean-Pierre Blanchard’s hot air balloon landed on this side of North America. The hot air balloon flight which left Philadelphia from which parts of the Deptford township was formed landed somewhere in the town, and Jean carried along with him, a letter from George Washington, the then President of the United States. The letter was meant to be delivered to be handed over to any man on whose property the flight landed.
3. Situated in the town is the Deptford Mall, the 7th largest shopping edifice in New Jersey, and apparently, the largest in the Southern part of New Jersey. The property cost the owners Macerich who purchased it in 2007 a whopping $241 million.
4. Parts of the 2008 documentary “Patti Smith: Dream of Life” about the famous rock musician Patti Smith, was shot in Deptford New Jersey.
5. One of the Nature Preserves in the state of New Jersey, the Tall Pines State Preserve, is situated along the border of the town.
6. The Deptford Township voted massively for the former United States President, Barack Obama in the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections. They also supported Democrat John Kerry against George Bush in the 2004 presidential elections. However, the tide always seems to turn against the democrats who always lose in the gubernatorial elections to the Republicans as was the case with the likes of Democrat Barbara Buono who lost to Republican Chris Christie.
7. The town has produced notable personalities like YouTuber Evan Edinger, popular rock musician Patti Smith, Isaac Hopper who was the founder of the Underground Railroad as well as the likes of Michael Johns, a former White House speechwriter, actress Katrina Law, comedian Bob Levy, staunch politician Gary Stuhltrager and sportsmen like Mel Sheppard who won 4 Gold Medals in the 1908 and 1912 Olympic games, and Dave Rowe, the former professional football player.
Here’s one last quick fact… the quiet town of Deptford has 9 schools for its children including a school for the disabled children.
And if you ever feel the need to eat till you can take no more, there are hundreds of restaurants that serve great dishes in Deptford. You’ll definitely be at crossroads as to which restaurant to eat in.
Enjoyed those facts right? Now’s your turn to share with your friends.